Sunday, March 25, 2012

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Perfect recipe for St. Patty's Day (or a Sunday dinner)

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
serves 8
recipe found on All Recipes.com
Awesome dinner!


4 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces
10 baby red potatoes, quartered
1 onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 cups water (I used 2 cups of water and 2 cups of beef broth)
1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet
6 ounces beer
chopped up garlic
1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped (I put this in for only 20 minutes at the end!

1. Place the carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, pour in the water, and place the brisket on top of the vegetables. Pour the beer over the brisket. Sprinkle on the spices from the packet, cover, and set the cooker on High. (I did 6 hours on high and that was good enough!)

2. Cook the brisket for about 8 hours. An hour before serving, stir in the cabbage and cook for 1 more hour.               
Cooking it up in the crock pot

Karl's reaction: "Could have used more carrots but the corn beef IS AWESOME. Okay...and maybe add some mushrooms."

My take: Holy tasty. A little on the salty side for me, but really good. The meat was incredibly tender.

2 comments:

I made this- thanks to your recommendation and we loved how tender the meat was, too! I thought it was super flavorful, but if it were upt o me, it would've had sauerkraut in it :)

I think you are right! The sauerkrat would have made it for sure!

Post a Comment