The thing is, I know what I want. I'm going after what I want, but I feel like nothing is happening. I'd be lying if I said life hasn't been crazy, busy and I haven't been working my tail off, but those big goals are a little harder to obtain and require a lot of work. More than I ever imagined. I see now why so many people give up. But I don't want to! I want to make my dreams a reality. And I really believe they can come true, but maybe it's not on my time? I don't know...
My 2011 Goals Revisited
1. Receive representation for my book Not yet... I queried a lot beginning in February. I also heard back from several agents who requested a full or partial. This was a huge step in the right direction. In the end, I revised my entire manuscript thanks to several positive suggestions from agents. And in about a month, I resent and have received a few more requests; however, I've noticed the summer months are a little bit quieter in agent land. So I'm back to waiting and querying and praying that something works out!
In the meantime I have started writing two new books. I started one awhile back before I revised my first manuscript, and then started another one more recently. Both have potential but I really want to see where my first book goes. So this makes it hard to keep going. Will I really become a full-time writer at some point?
2. Travel somewhere new
Check! My husband and I went to Riviera Maya, Mexico in February with his family. I have been to Mexico but never the Riviera. It was truly beautiful. A super fun family vacation.
3. Start a family
We're getting there...
4. Start a recipe portfolio/blog
Check! Every week I've been uploading a recipe or two to this blog. I've received wonderful feedback from friends, family and strangers who have tried these recipes! So thanks! It's also really pushed me to eat even healthier. Love it.
5. Get an article in a magazine
Not yet... I wrote a couple articles this winter but no dice. This is definitely something I'd like to work on again and pursue.
6. Say "no" more and do things for me
Still struggling... This is so hard for me. I feel like I'm hurting people's feelings. But time is precious and the older I get, the more I realize how I want to spend my time - I don't want to use it toward something I'm not totally emotionally, spiritually, mentally or physically invested in. When I do this, I get stretched too thin and I'm not as fun to be around.
7. Get organized
We're getting there... We sold Karl's town home and are down to one place! Yeah!!! However, the basement is stacked floor to ceiling with boxes, collectibles and hunting gear, and the garage is getting tighter by the day. One Saturday, Karl and I sat down and watched Hoarders. That did the trick. The man with 2000+ rats was enough to send us in a cleaning frenzy and the next day we started tossing stuff. I need to do that every day though. It feels really great, but it's a lot of work. Baby steps here.
8. Stop biting my nails
That's a big no! What can I say? I'm an addict. But I'll highlight this on my new list as something I really need to work on.
9. Flush out the bad with the good
Check! I did a metal detox for a month. The first two weeks I felt like a total zombie, but once I got through the hump, I felt like myself. I didn't really see a difference so I'm not sure what to say about this? However, I do eat very healthy and have hired a trainer and really have noticed changes in my body and health. When I feel good, I feel like I can take on the world.
My new set of goals 2011
1. Receive representation for my book
2. Complete rough draft of book #2
3. Get an article published in a popular magazine
4. Start a family
5. Be happy in my career - find my niche so I can look forward to each day and stay focused
6. Let go and let God - STOP worrying so darn much
7. Start building our dream home on paper - kind of a fun project, though not expecting to move out of the townhome anytime soon
8. Find more time - (grocery shop one day out of the week, etc. etc. - find balance in all I do). I swear by the time I get home from work the night is already over.
9. STOP biting my fingernails
Do you have goals for yourself? How are you doing this year with them?