Makes 4 Servings
(found in Fitness Magazine - May 2010)
Takes about 20 minutes to put together. And it is bursting with flavor!!!
So I did some changing to the recipe in the magazine ...
1 cup whole-wheat orzo (I didn't use whole wheat...sorry...still don't like taste)
1 1/2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth (I use Wild Harvest Organic instead, not fat free)
1/4 cup dry white wine (or 3 TBS chicken broth and 1 TBS lemon juice) - (I used the broth and fresh lemon)
2 TBS freshly grated Parmesan
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 6-ounce halibut fillets (could not find these so I grabbed cod. Big mistake. Should have used salmon instead)
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 pint grape tomatoes
8 large Kalamata olives (I used Peloponnese Halved Kalamatas)
1 TBS drained capers
2 garlic cloves
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
2 TBS silvered fresh basil (I used a whole Wild Harvest Organic packet!!!)
The goodness I added:
Can of Chickpeas (rinsed and drained...loads of fiber and great health benefits)
1 avocado (good fats!!! And great benefits!)
1. Combine orzo, broth and wine. Bring to a boil and stir; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes...I added in the chickpeas. Stir in Parmesan and black pepper. Cover and set aside.
2. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush fish with 2 tsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Grill until just cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side. (I had to bake the cod and sprinkled with paprika for some reason)
3. Combine tomatoes (cut in half), olives and capers in a medium bowl. Warm the remaining olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper; saute until fragrant. Stir in remaining salt. Toss garlic mixture with tomato mixture and add basil.
4. Serve fish over orzo and top with tomato mixture. I sprinkled fresh Parmesan on top.
5. Place sliced avocado around plate. (Each of us had a half)
Karl says, "This is good, babe...minus the lemon seed I just ate."
I would make again but for sure use salmon instead!!!