Head to rump, your baby is approximately 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, although he may hide them from you during an ultrasound. (info found on babycenter.com)
I know...seems a bit crazy to be registering this early. I mean, anything could happen yet. I'm trying to stay positive and give all my worries to God. Still hard when really sad things have happened to my friends at 21 and 22 weeks. I hear the super safe zone is after 26 weeks... I have some weeks ahead of me yet. But I do feel baby moving around more and more. Such a great feeling. I so can't wait for Karl to feel the baby! We also asked both our parents to come to our 20-week ultrasound. We moved the date to a Friday so my parents could come. So on December 2, we'll all be checking out baby K in action. Bring the tissues!!!
Back to registering stuff... My mom wanted to have a shower for me back home in Illinois before she and my dad leave for Arizona and we all head to Vegas as a family for my younger brother's 30th birthday! Makes sense, and if invites were going out in December, that meant Karl and I had to get our act together. The rest of November is full of Thanksgiving dinners with family or crazy Black Friday (who in their right mind would want to register then??). So we went to Target and Babies R Us last weekend. But before we could even begin I had to turn to friends and family for advice.
My question: What are baby must-haves?
There are a million products out there for babies (Karl and I were beyond overwhelmed) and I wanted to make sure I was getting the necessities. I'm so over having the house full of "stuff". Life is so much less complicated when there is less stuff and more time for loved ones and adventure. I learned the hard way, thinking cute outfits and fifty different Bath and Body Works lotions and tons and tons of stuff would make life better. Wrong. It's just more to clean or more things to take up space and create clutter.
Anyway, I thought it'd be cool if I post some of the best must-haves that were recommended to us and then once baby is born, go back and pick the top five or ten from the list. And Karl and I got lucky. While at Target, we ran into a mother of six and a mother of two. Both walked us through the bottles, diapers and swings. Both were on the same page with each product, so we went with what they said.
Here are the products in no particular order:
1. Best bottles (was told these prevent gas big time). Both women raved that they've tried every one out there and these kicked butt.
2. Best swing (was told by woman she went out of her way to buy this because it was so amazing and her baby finally started sleeping.)
3. Stroller (BOB - best for tall folks and runners!!)
4. Car seat (Best ones out there that fit into BOB stroller and are ranked high all across the board...I'm going back and forth between the Graco SnugRide 35 and the Chicco Keyfit 30. I can't decide. But I was told to buy an extra base whatever I do because once it's in your car, you don't want it to come out.)
5. Car Seat Accessories - It's cold in Minnesota. Slip cover is a must have (even in April)
6. Baby Monitor - I know times have changed but I hear the video monitor is the best!!! I hear Summer Infant is a good brand.
Medela for breast feeding (heard that some insurance companies will pay for this so call and check)
8. Boppy helps place baby when breast feeding
9. My Breast Friend (also helps place baby in good spot for breast feeding)
10. Good Seat to have and for meal time - Bumbo Baby Seat
11. Bouncer - hear these are good to have (by the bed too when you're too tired to get out of bed and go far)
13. Wrap em up - Aden and Anais have some amazing swaddle wraps
Okay moms...what are your favorites and must haves out there? Please share! I'm torn between a good Pack and Play and bath tub right now. Any suggestions? What am I missing? Also I heard that Gerber clothes shrink once washed and Target sells a lot of these. Is this true?