Saturday, January 28, 2012

Welcome to the Third Trimester - Month 7

28 weeks

Making it to the Third Trimester...
and all those thoughts that come with it

By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can open and close her eyes, which now sport lashes. This movement is more of a reflexive blink than a deliberate opening and closing, but it won't be long before she's batting those beauties at you.  (www.babycenter.com)
Me in the bathroom at work - 28 weeks!


We made it!  Seven whole months and 28 weeks down, now entering the third trimester. Meaning, there are only 12 more weeks to go...3 more months!

How do I feel?
I actually feel great! I have my moments where I get painful, mind-blowing Charlie Horses at night in my calves. Or if I eat too much sugar (like two Jolly Rancher suckers back to back), I get tired and sluggish. And I do feel the heaviness of my body. But I still feel pretty happy and excited...that is until I let other people, their problems and opinions step in. More on that later. But I am proud to say I haven't cried once this entire pregnancy (okay, I bawled at the movie UP...but that's kind of normal for me...it gets me every time when the old man opens the journal his late wife put together!). No tears shed here otherwise. I haven't bitten Karl's head off either... As of yet! Maybe that's to come third tri?

Exercise
I'm still working out. I'll do 25 minutes on the stair stepper. I would normally go at level 11 or 12, but I'm around a level 6 right now so my heart rate isn't off the charts and I'm not passing out. Then the next day, I'll do strength training. I'll take a day or two off and then add another day of cardio...maybe the elliptical. Then another day of strength training and then I'll walk on the treadmill, but make it nice and hilly. For my butt's sake!

Nutrition
I've still been eating really great. I'm still taking my four vitamins a day, but I now take my Omega-3 Fish Oil in the morning and at night. This is the big trimester for brain development. Creating a little genius inside me. I mean, we all know Karl's going to think this baby has his "genius smarts" but really...we'll know the real reason. Shhh.

I really don't have any mad cravings. Since oranges practically burnt a hole in my stomach, I've been gravitating toward blueberries right now. Every now and then I get a craving for ice cream, and I satisfy it so I don't have to eat an entire carton, like I did in my twenties after a guy would dump me. And Karl's been wonderful - he ran to DQ for me once to get an Oreo mint blizzard. Yum!

Thoughts thus far
I had a blog post started of all the cray-cray thoughts going on in my head, but they kind of went away after I had a nice talk with my mom. First of all, I feel like I'm extremely lucky to have the mom I have (for a second I thought all moms were alike...I couldn't be more wrong. I really have a good one.) and I must say, I'm already starting to look at her differently now that I'm in the beginning stages of this motherhood stuff. For one, she listens to me. And I mean...REALLY listens to me. That's a great quality in itself. Secondly, she offers up great advice. She doesn't scare me or make me feel like I'm inadequate or crazy. And she doesn't go into detail about what she did 30 some years ago and how bad they had it back in the day...blah, blah, blah. After someone comes to me and freaks me out, I email her or text her and I get, "Oh jeesh. Don't worry about it. You're going to be great. And dad and I are always there for you."

Simple as that. That's all I need to hear.

I think the reason I get so scared is a lot of the people I talk to seem to assume that all pregnancies are alike, and like to think I'm like every pregnant person out there. I'll have a baby and boom...my life will be over, sleep is no longer an option, my life will get flipped upside down...and for some reason they don't think I've taken any of this into consideration. I get these lines a lot...

"You won't be able to do that anymore, you know..."

or

"Have you really thought about that? Because I've heard it's impossible to breastfeed and work."

Oh really?

Hey, maybe all that above will happen. Maybe it won't. But I wouldn't have gotten pregnant if I wasn't up for the challenge. I just wish people would let my story unfold first before putting in their two sense and comparing me to their sister or best friend or aunt or mom or self. I know what could happen, but I just don't know if that's going to be my story. So I say, let me be...pregnant! Let me enjoy this miracle going on inside me. And know I do welcome good, positive advice!!
            

1 comments:

Ugh I know exactly how you feel. I don't know why immediately when you're pregnant, people who've had children feel the need to tell you all the negative ways your life will change. "You won't be able to do that anymore." You know what- you will be able to do whatever you make time for and work into your family's life. You are going to be an amazing mother, and it is all about learning. Children don't come with an instruction manual, but look at how wonderful of a person you are. I have no doubt that this is going to be the luckiest baby in the world :) Stay strong, and try not to let the hormones turn you into a crazy person (like I am). I can't wait to sit here and be part of your "story."

Post a Comment