Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Getting My Workout Groove Back - Month 4

week 16
Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length . Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. (info found at babycenter.com)

This must be the time when my belly really starts growing if little K is going to hit his/her growth spurt after this week. Fun stuff!!! I kind of accepted now that my body is going to change, and it's okay. I'm carrying and creating life, which is just crazy to think about. I haven't stopped taking care of myself. So it's okay that I'm gaining weight. I still eat well. I'm working out (again!!!) and I get lots of sleep. I'm just happy I'm not craving sweets and desserts. Then I'd be doomed!!!

I met with my personal trainer Josh for an hour on Sunday after church for a new workout program. I was nervous since I haven't really lifted since week five. I wasn't sure how my body would handle. Josh put together a nice simple workout with a variety. And yes, I was very sore the following day but at least I know even simple workouts (if done right) can really work the muscles. It's pretty cool.

Stability ball workouts (squatting with the ball behind my back with weights and also sitting on it doing core and breathing exercises) and push ups on a bar and a lot of core focused exercises on the mats (no lying flat on back though). I need to remember to pull my belly button in and breathe from my stomach not my chest.

I felt pretty good after the workout and went to Lifetime Fitness again yesterday.  I did 15 minutes on the stair stepper and about 50 minutes of lifting. I left the gym on a high. Working out really makes me feel like me, and gives me the energy I need. I felt like a new person. And I swear I felt baby K move when I was on the stepper.

Josh also gave me some reading material (from the American College of Sports Medicine) on being pregnant and exercising, and I thought the information was too good not to share. Some of the benefits:

  1. Reduction of chances of getting gestational diabetes (especially if BMI is already over 33).
  2. Reduction in risk of developing pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH).
  3. Fewer obstetric interventions (vacuum extraction, forceps).
  4. Reduction in the 'active stage' of labor (the time from 4-10 cm dilation).
  5. Research has suggested that the incidence of cesarean section may be lower in women who exercise during their pregnancy.
  6. Increase in maternal well being.
  7. Increase sense of control.
  8. Increase energy.
  9. Improved sleep.
  10. Improved self-image.
  11. Quicker return to pre-pregnancy weight.
  12. Control of excess weight gain.
  13. Increased likelihood of continued postpartum exercise.
  14. Decreased incidence of loss of bladder control during pregnancy and postpartum.
  15. Reduction in bone density loss during the lactation state
  16. Reduction in common pregnancy complaints (hemorrhoids, leg cramps, back pain, etc.)
Then, there are even benefits to the infant!!!!
  1. Infants have less body fat at birth, possible connection to Cardiovascular Risk Profile in adulthood.
  2. Infants are less cranky, have a reduction in the incidence of infant colic.
  3. Greater neurodevelopments scores in oral language and motor areas (tested at age 5).
How can you not just want to get up and work out, even when you'd much rather snuggle up on the couch? Even 15 minutes helps!!! How do you get yourself to the gym when it's the last thing on your mind?           

0 comments:

Post a Comment