Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Power of Lentils

First of all, I'm just going to say crock pots are an amazing invention. Second of all, I'm sorry I haven't posted any recipes this week. I have a lot of them, so I'll try to get them up by this weekend.

Side note: Lentils are freakin' GOOD for you. Loads of fiber, protein and vitamin B...among other good stuff. Read more.

Vegetable and Green Lentil Soup
(courtesy of Rival Crock-Pot Best Loved Slow Cooker Recipes)
Makes 4 servings














1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, diced (I used both...what the heck, right?)
1 red or yellow pepper. (I used a green one too)
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and sorted (I used the whole darn bag...)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 TBS fresh basil

Combine all the goods for 4 hours (high) or 8 hours low. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy! I feel like there needed to be some more zest. But that could be because I went a little happy with the lentils and it sucked out all the juices. Not sure.

Karl's reaction. "This is different. There's no meat in here?"  Where's the meat???

Before Pic - with all the fresh veggies!














Yummy Goodness! Your heart will thank you! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment