Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Healthy Banana Rhubarb Muffins

Healthy Muffins

Rhubarb banana muffins

These were SUPER quick to make and totally delicious. Jackson (14 month old) could have easily eaten TWO in sitting. He devoured one all by himself in record time, followed by "mmmm" and a smile after every bite.

I found the recipe when I searched in Pinterest. I had extra rhubarb and I had old bananas sitting out and I wanted to make something with both, that was QUICK. Glad I did!

Blog I found the Rhubarb/Banana Muffins on.

Recipe (Yields about 16 muffins)
1 1/2 cups flour (use whole wheat for an even healthier muffin)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 mashed bananas
1/2 cup greek yogurt
5 Tbs melted butter
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb

Spray muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray or use liners. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In one bowl, beat the bananas, yogurt, butter and eggs with an electric mixer. Add the sugar and beat again. In another bowl, stir together the flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.

Stir briefly until moistened and then fold in the rhubarb pieces. Pour the batter into the muffin pans and bake for 25-30 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean) at 350 degrees.
I also sprinkled each muffin with brown sugar and cinnamon sugar in the pan before putting them in the oven for a crispier outside.

3 comments:

Made these muffins last week- makes a pan of regular size and one mini pan. The ultimate test was that Myles was willing to munch on at least half of a mini!! The flax seed keeps them very moist. Thanks!

I'm so glad you tried these! And I AM SO HAPPY MYLES ate half of a mini! SUCCESS!!! Thanks for sharing:)

Post a Comment