Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mom's Home Cooking

I've been terrible with my food blog posts!! Sorry. If you read my earlier blog, you'll understand that I've lost my head, mind...whatever.

Karl and I went and saw my mommy for Mother's Day back in Roscoe (yes, home of Danica PatrickMiss Illinois Nicole Manske and Jump Rope for Heart American Champs 1980-something...sorry couldn't find a link for that). It was a very special day and like the wonderful mother she is, she cooked.

I know what you're thinking.

But she's just that great. So I thought in honor of her I'd feature one of our favorite foods she makes when we visit. This is like one of the simpliest meals, but there's just something about it. Love you Mom!!!

Tortellini Soup
serves how many you'd like...maybe 6 or 8?
(recipe found in her neighbor's church cookbook)

1 lb of Italian sausage (she boils first)
3-4 cans of Minestrone Soup (she uses Progresso because it has penne in it and/or Wolfgang Puck but says it's impossible to find in the grocery stores anymore)
1-2 cans of petite diced tomatoes (Red Gold)
1-2 cans low sodium chicken broth
1 lb packaged tortellinis (cheese, chicken, beef stuffed...whatever you want)

1. Boil sausage and cut into pieces.
2. Put soup cans, tomatoes, broth in large sauce pan and stir. Add pieces of sausage.
3. Boil tortellinis separate and add to soup.
4. Mix together and simmer

You can add tons of veggies: spinach, zucchini, chick peas, whatever. This soup is just so good!!!

Top with cheese and serve with crusty bread. It is oh so delicious!!!

Karl's reaction: "Amazing Cindy!!! This is why I come and see you guys! Ahhhh!"


0 comments:

Post a Comment